In light of the current and evolving situation with regards to COVID-19, we have put together the following document to help provide guidance in relation to the provision of nutritional support.
This document does not seek to replace existing guidelines and policy within your area but may offer some supportive information to help guide decision making at this unprecedented time. Patient staff safety and professional accountability remain paramount.
The information contained within this document should be discussed at organisational level. It should also be noted that the contents are advisory, based on information available at the time of publication.
Useful documents are embedded into sections within this document. In addition are links to useful resources in the final section.
If you have any concerns or queries, then please get in touch
Email: [email protected]
Download the guidance – Updated 14th April 2020
Joint Home Enteral Nutrition Statement – April 2020
Additional Resources and Information
Free webinar series – Updated 9th April 20
COVID-19 and implications for nutrition therapy
Mouth Care for Patients with Covid-19 PHE Guidance – Updated 15th April 20
Free Webinar Series – Updated 30th April 2020 COVID-19:
Nutritional Support Post ICU – Guidance on continuing nutrition from ICU to recovery.
Updated 14th May 2020
The British Dietetic Association (BDA) specialist groups, in conjunction with other national groups have rapidly responded to the COVID-19 pandemic by creating a suite of high quality nutrition resources to support dietitians, healthcare professionals, patients, carers and the public. The resources are designed to tailor nutritional care across the patient journey and deal with nutritional challenges observed in those affected. The BDA would like to thank the NNNG in helping create the resources including the provision of guidance which is embedded in the documents listed below:
The documents are open access via the hyperlinks
- management of patients with COVID-19 in the ICU setting
- management of patients with COVID-19 on the ward not in ICU
- nutritional recovery and rehabilitation of critical illness
- patient-facing resources for COVID-19 produced by the National Malnutrition Pathway consensus panel which includes a resource finder for patients and carers to direct them to the most appropriate dietary advice according to the severity of COVID-19 combined with malnutrition risk, loss of appetite, unintentional weight loss
- Top Tips for Prescribing ONS during the COVID-19 pandemic